"We wish Tommy well and we fully support him," assistant general manager Matt Klentak said. "He has the full support of the entire Angels organization."
Hanson missed one start while on the bereavement list, reserved only for deaths in the family, from April 22-28. Unlike the bereavement list, where players must miss a minimum of three games and a maximum of seven, there's no real limit for how long a player can be on the restricted list. The restricted list is reserved only for special circumstances, with teams having to seek approval from Major League Baseball and the MLB Players' Association before deploying it.
Last year, Torii Hunter was on the restricted list from May 14-29 while dealing with a sexual-assault case involving his teenage son, Darius McClinton-Hunter, who eventually was not indicted by a grand jury.
Hanson gave up two runs (one earned) in six innings of the 19-inning game against the A's upon his return on April 29, then gave up three runs on seven hits in five innings to the Orioles on Saturday, putting his ERA at 3.86 through five starts.
The 26-year-old right-hander's next turn would come Wednesday, and with Jered Weaver still on the disabled list, Garrett Richards back in the bullpen and Jerome Williams already a starter, the Angels don't have many options to replace him. Prior to Friday's start, the last time Enright pitched more than 2 2/3 innings was April 15 in Triple-A.
"First and foremost is to get Tommy where he needs to be, get back here and do what he loves to do," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "How long it's going to take, I don't know."
Alden Gonzalez is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his columns and his blog, Gonzo and "The Show", and follow him on Twitter @Alden_Gonzalez. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.